On May 16th, 1932, seven dynamic women chartered the Alpha Nu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The chapter was established during an era of segregation, discrimination, and lack of resources for minority students on campus. The chapter members quickly sought political change on campus. In 1950, Founder Marguerite Young Alexander helped the Alpha Nu chapter in the purchase of a sorority house. This was Delta’s first sorority house. It served as a home for not only chapter members, but housed and provided a “safe space” for African-American students during this time.
The women of the Alpha Nu chapter continuously strive to uphold the ideals of Delta. All while remaining true to providing joy in their sisterhood, power in their voices, and service in their heart.